Thread: Mars One not a Hoax

Brian Krassenstein

Mars One not a Hoax

Here is an article published by BBC int he last few days showing that Mars One is likely not a hoax for all of you claiming it may be:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18506033
    'Not a hoax'
    Bas Lansdorp, 35, made his fortune selling shares in his wind-harnessing energy company.

So far all the Mars One endeavours - including a quick trip over to get some advice from Nasa - have been self-funded.

"If you look at the team involved in Mars One, none of us would do this as a hoax," says Mr Lansdorp.

"If a Mars mission was to happen we'd want to be part of it and if we did a scam now and it didn't work no-one would ever include us in the real thing."

If this all sounds familiar, that may be because back in 2009 the Russians launched a 17-month Mars experiment.

The simulated flight conducted by the European Space Agency was designed to test the physiological and psychological impact of a journey to Mars.

But at the time, Christer Fuglesang from the Science & Application division of the ESA admitted it was no real comparison to the lack of oxygen or gravity levels.

The truth is it's hard to test what life would be like on Mars while you're still on Earth.

The fact that Mars One has recruited one of the original founders of the Big Brother reality TV takeover has simply given the detractors more ammunition.

But, Bas Lansdorp claims, "reality TV is an added component just to make it possible".

Administrator
    I have no doubt that Mars One is a legitimate project. It certainly is NOT a hoax!
    Ed

Super Moderator Maximal Entropy's Avatar
    I doubt many people interested enough to reach this site think it's a hoax, but good find anyway.
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be frightened of the darkness.

Banned
    Ill go anyway. ready for departure since 30 years ago rofl.)
    Last edited by OIBALOS; 07-03-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Super Moderator
    Some of you might know the site www.Futuretimeline.net
    Right now they have a speculative timeline that sets the first manned mission to Mars at 2033.
    They do have a posting in their blog-post section, following world press releases about the Mars-one mission.
    So at this point in time the people behind Futuretimeline don't take the Mars-one initiative serious enought to lower the predicted year from 2033 to 2023.
    Perhaps when the tv adds start and the first future Mars-astronauts commence their training, they will.
    When this happens i guess no one will call it a hoax anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank van der Lee View Post
    Some of you might know the site www.Futuretimeline.net
    Right now they have a speculative timeline that sets the first manned mission to Mars at 2033.
    They do have a posting in their blog-post section, following world press releases about the Mars-one mission.
    So at this point in time the people behind Futuretimeline don't take the Mars-one initiative serious enought to lower the predicted year from 2033 to 2023.
    Perhaps when the tv adds start and the first future Mars-astronauts commence their training, they will.
    When this happens i guess no one will call it a hoax anymore.
    Some people will call it a hoax until the first humans launch, some will call it a hoax until the first humans land, some will call it a hoax until they die. There are still people who believe humans never went to the Moon, for example. I see this as a good thing that our (humanity's) technology and ambitions are so great that people don't believe it.

I will go and not look back. Better to die reaching for the stars then to live wondering what if. Where and how do we sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Burke View Post
    I will go and not look back. Better to die reaching for the stars then to live wondering what if. Where and how do we sign up.
    In 2013 Mars One will announce the application process. If you subscribe to their email list and follow their facebook page you should find out as soon as anyone else.

I have been reading about it, and I for one think this is the most exciting idea I have ever heard. Looking forward to following in detail.

So far I have seen nothing suggesting that it is a hoax.