Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion on Mars?

Religion on Mars?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to avoid sending religious people to Mars?
    Last edited by OIBALOS; 06-28-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Administrator
    I guess that would be an opinion that would have different answers from different people. Religion could have its positive aspects if it keeps people in line and gives them good moral values. However, I could certainly see it causing many many problems, espetially if there are people of multiple religions on the planet. I don't think the planners of the Mars One project have plans to only accept applications from atheists and agnostics though.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I don't think the planners of the Mars One project have plans to only accept applications from atheists and agnostics though.
    My point is, that they shud, only accept ateits. Aleste, we shud vote on only the none-religius, when we vote on who wil get to go

Super Moderator
    Hi folks. I guess a moderate religious person won't be much of a problem but the danger is the harsh environement and isolation can turn a moderate into a fundamentalist. ( example: Captain Pinbacker from the movie Sunshine. )

Administrator
    I agree with Frank. A moderately religious person shouldn't pose a problem. It's just when it gets to be the overly religious ones that problems happen (i.e. wars, hate crimes, etc). My guess is that the majority of people that will be interested in colonizing Mars will not be very religious, so there shouldn't be any issues with this.

Super Moderator
    In today's world there's also a large number of people that would categorize themselves as 'unbound spiritual'.
    The people reading 'The Celestine prophecy' and the ones reading the books by Eckhart Tolle , Krishnamurti, Deepak Chopra, the people being inspired by Buddhist teachings and so on.
    I guess they would fit in the Mars-one crew as well without cousing any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank van der Lee View Post
    I guess they would fit in the Mars-one crew as well without cousing any problems.
    Thats not the thing, if they couse any problems or not. They are deluted, they see the world, with blinding glasses, witch, in my mind, is a potensial problem. Lets make a bether future. Lets not involve relegion in our future society. And lets start, with Mars. When humanety starts a new existance on a new planey, lets make shure its based on 100% sciense, and lets not take with us superstition.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminati1776 View Post
    Thats not the thing, if they couse any problems or not. They are deluted, they see the world, with blinding glasses, witch, in my mind, is a potensial problem. Lets make a bether future. Lets not involve relegion in our future society. And lets start, with Mars. When humanety starts a new existance on a new planey, lets make shure its based on 100% sciense, and lets not take with us superstition.
    My opinion is that most "very religious" people won't want to have anything to do with the Mars One Project.

I can definitely see religion causing some problems but I don't think it will. On the other hand, those people that are more "spiritual" could probably get along just as well as the "atheists" and "scientific" people.

Apparently, some of you do not know what a religious person is. Religion is founded in a person by a deeply personal mystical experience which changes a person in a wholly beneficial way. That is a pretty sound and well-used definition known to those who study religion and the religious. It is not the common definition-- not to the clueless; but it is the accurate one.

Just yesterday, I posted elsewhere about what Buzz Aldrin (second man to walk on the Moon) was doing within an hour of the Eagle landing on the lunar surface. He was quietly taking Communion-- consecrated Bread and Wine. He is most likely smarter than anyone on this thread-- and arguably more fully human than most people on the planet.

And to throw this back your way: Why stop there? We all know how people with a certain color of skin are-- we need to make sure they don't go. Oh, and let's not forget to exclude those political types-- always divisive that sort is. Can't trust the poor, so we rule them out-- probably all thieves anyway. What else should we add to justify our hate of those unlike us? Come on, I know this group is full of more ideas.

Super Moderator
    I can take myself for instance: i'm a Catholic by birth and raising but consider myself to be one of those ''unbound spiritual'' people, while still celebrating the Christian festivity's and special days.
    And yet i'm all for science and technology, progress and visionairy thinking.
    And you won't find a greater space travel-enthousiast than me.
    But i think Admin is right: the manned exploitation of space has a self-cluensing mechanism since the vast majority of people that will sign up for space travel won't be fundamentalist muslim, Christian or otherwise.